March 02, 2010

People

You never really know someone unless you spend a lot of time with them.
You can't begin to know someone without taking that first step and talking to them.

I know K better now than I did two weeks ago, yet our children went to preschool together and are in the same class at school!
I've always liked her (and not just because she'll probably read this blog!) and I've always thought her son is adorable and glad my daughter likes him too.

It was therefore a wonderful opportunity to get to know her better by taking photos of her to celebrate her upcoming birthday. I'll tell you that she is turning 21. It's always nicer to say 21...my dad has been 21 for about 21 years.

I guess I would say that K has her comfort zone, like anyone else, and she was pulled out of that for our shoot. Not that I wasn't, because I feel mighty self conscious lugging around all my camera gear, hoping not to be told off for being somewhere I shouldn't be!
But despite her insecurities (being spotted in the main street of a small town having her photo taken), she really shone, and I got some great shots. It was my first time taking official photos of an adult. I keep joking that she would at least do as she was told...unfortunately I didn't really know what to tell her, so we improvised. I think the one thing I said the most was 'Yep, like that!'

K was amazed out how many photos we took. There was over 500 in total. We knew we had at least 2 or 3 good ones, so it came as a great surprise to find many more shots that I could use.

In a simple 2 hours, and 500 photos, I learned more about K and her family than I had learnt over the past two years. This tells me that I do not pay attention nearly as much as I should.

So I thank my photography for this realisation, I thank K for making the shoot so casual, feeling equally as awkward as I did and taking the time to chat throughout.

The best part is that K liked her pics which means I can post a couple today!
 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers